Remember the strawberry jam recipe I posted last week ? 3 Ingredient Strawberry Jam . It can be put to more use than just on fresh toast. These jam centre muffins are gorgeously moist and the perfect snack box treat. Since they are made with whole wheat flour, they are filling and with a gooey jam centre, absolutely delicious. I have added some flaked almonds for crunch. They add some extra protein to the dish and taste lovely slightly toasted on top.
These muffins are made in one bowl. Add ingredients, mix, scoop, bake, eat. No matter how well you layer the jam within the muffin batter, the jam tends to bubble up and ooze out, at least in a few of the muffins. But that totally adds to their rustic charm, I think.
Recipe : (Makes 6 – 8)
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Castor Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Flavourless Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3 tbsp milk
- 6 tsp 3 Ingredient Strawberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a bowl add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Fork through.
- Create a well in the centre, add buttermilk, oil, vanilla.
- Using a whisk, slowly bring small amounts of dry ingredients towards the centre. Mix till all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add the milk and fold till smooth.
- Do not over mix at this point, since the muffins will end up being dense.
- Spoon 1/3 of the liner with batter. Place 1 tsp jam in the centre and spoon enough batter till the liner is 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle some flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 15 – 17 mins till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- If you don’t find readymade buttermilk, take yoghurt and water in the propotion of 2/3 : 1/3.
When snack box treat looks this good !!