The simplest of all pasta recipes but the one with the most flavour. I enjoy a pasta recipe that is not drenched in cream or cheese. There is a time and place for rich and indulgent but for the most part, simple pasta has my heart. Tinned tomatoes are key to the dish for the astringent flavour and colour. I use Cirio brand (not sponsored) that are easily available these days in supermarkets or online.
Anchovies are an integral part of this recipe, although it gets dissolved in the sauce, its very important for the bold flavour. To keep it vegetarian, and incidentally vegan, I have substituted it with the lip puckering brininess of capers.
Recipe : ( Serves 2 )
- 1/2 packet Spaghetti
- 1 200g tin Cirio, plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp capers
- 10 Olives
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Basil leaves, chopped
- Boil a generous amount of water in a deep pot. Once the water boils, add salt. Add the pasta. Stir. Allow to cook 12 – 15 minutes.
- In another pan, heat olive oil. Add chilli flakes.
- Add capers. Toss.
- Mash the tinned tomatoes slightly with your hands and add to the pan.
- Add salt, sugar, basil leaves. Cover and cook for 15 mins on low flame.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add olives, cooked pasta and toss till well coated.
- Serve hot along topped with basil and some crusty bread.
Pasta Perfection !!