Quinoa is a health food rage, we all know that. It’s everywhere these days. Although it’s very difficult to get kids to eat quinoa. At least mine won’t. My elder one says, under the influence of Masterchef Australia, “It’s too nutty, mom”. So this is my way of making them eat it. You hardly realise it’s there, and tastes as delicious and comforting as we remember porridge to be.
This porridge is spiced with cinnamon. And what goes better with cinnamon than apples and maple syrup?? Nothing. They also provide the perfect crunch and make for a healthy and delicious breakfast.
Recipe : ( Serves 2 )
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- 1/4 cup Porridge Oats
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 tbsp Chopped Apples
- Apple slices for serving
- In a pan, add quinoa, cinnamon stick and water. Cook till quinoa is 3/4 th done.
- Add the oats and cook further till everything is cooked through.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. Add maple syrup, almond milk.
- Allow everything to come to a boil. Cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Scoop into serving glasses. Allow to become warm.
- Top with maple syrup and apple slices.
- This can be made ahead of time. Refrigerate overnight. Warm in microwave for a few minutes and loosen slightly with warm almond milk or water as desired.